Thursday, May 26, 2011

Keep your summer skeeter free

PhotobucketSummer is right around the corner and unfortunately those pesky mosquitos are already here. There are few simply tricks to keep those nasty bloodsuckers at bay. Mosquitos breed in damp places and standing water so scour your yard and porch for places that collect water like buckets, wheelbarrows and garbage cans and either store them upside down or add drainage holes if possible. If your landscaping includes water features that do not have plants or fish in them adding chlorine bleach will keep the mosquitos away and it is much cheaper than pool chlorine. (Check with a garden center or pet shop before adding any chemicals to a pond or water feature that contains live plants, fish or reptiles.) This works great for small kiddy pools too. Just dump in some bleach when your kids are done playing for the evening. It is still a good idea to change the water every week or two as needed.
Once the breeding areas have been gotten rid of you need to keep other skeeters from flying into your yard. The safest and most effective way that I have discovered is spraying around entrance doors, the patio and play area with Listerine. Yes, Listerine, the mouthwash. Last summer I wrote an article about it and how I discovered it and I planned on linking you to it. However, in one of my redesigns I deleted the page and apparently did not save a copy or at least not in a place where I can find it. So, I will give a brief overview.
I received a forwarded email a few years ago that claimed if you spray Listerine outside around doors (avoid directly spraying on woodwork) and around areas like your patio and swing set the mosquitos will stay away. I tried it without telling my skeptical husband and he noticed the difference. You do need to repeat about once a week or so or after a rain, but it does work. Although I do not notice the mosquitos fly immediately away, like the email claimed but I do notice they do leave and do not come back if I keep it sprayed. I have used a generic brand and it works just as well and either are much cheaper than using bug spray (for the same coverage) and I don't worry about my kids or pets breathing in a little mouthwash. As far as I know it hasn't caused any of the scary side effects that deet (a chemical in many commercial mosquito sprays) does.
If you still get bit before you scratch and tear the skin open, wet the bite and sprinkle with salt and let dry then brush off. As long as the skin is not open it will not hurt or sting. Or apply a baking soda paste to the bite and let dry. These will help draw the venom out and therefore reduce the itching. For bee stings applying a baking soda paste or tenderizing salt (applied like regular salt as described for mosquito bites) will help draw out the venom and speed healing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment